Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Remembering Splitt





Paul Splittorff (1946-2011) passed away this morning in his home after a long battle with cancer. He was 64.

No one had been associated with the Kansas City Royals longer. Drafted in the 25th round of the 1968 draft, he was a member of the Royals before there was a team. Since his final season was 1984, I remember Splitt as an announcer rather than a player. In the past few years he has been replaced in the booth by another Royals great, Frank White, but Splitt continued to do pre and post games as recently as 10 days ago.

RIP Splitt...







3 comments:

  1. From the KC Star: When [Jim] Frey was fired the 1981 season, Splitt didn’t hide his feelings. “I never enjoyed playing for him,” he said. “He’s the first manager I never really cared for.” ... I guess Splitt and I shared some of the same feelings. I never really cared for Frey either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We lost Herman Killebrew last week.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=6559023

    ReplyDelete
  3. RIP Splitty. This is a huge loss for th eRoyals, for baseball, and for everyone. Splitty was one of the best! Well done, Base!

    ReplyDelete