Thursday, March 8, 2012

Thor's Day Thoughts


That is Jonathan Papelbon warming up before the 9th inning of this game.  Papelbon pitched a scoreless frame, slamming the door on a 15-4 loss at the hands of the Toronto Blue Jays.  The music playing while Papelbon warms up is I'm Shipping up to Boston by the Dropkick Murphys, a song made popular by The Departed.  During his tenure as closer for the Boston Red Sox, Papelbon warmed up to that same song before each home appearance.  In November, Papelbon signed a four year $50 million contract with the Philadelphia Phillies.  Now, the Dropkick Murphys have said that they do not want Papelbon to warm up with that song anymore, merely because he no longer plays for Boston.


I despise Jonathan Papelbon, because I was there when he did this.  But as far as warmup songs for closers go, Shipping up to Boston is one of the better choices.  Huston Street had an awful entrance song.  Probably the best known warmup songs for closers are those of Mariano Rivera and Trevor Hoffman.  A good entrance songmust be aggressive and edgy with an introduction that builds well.  Were I ever to close for a professional baseball team, there is only one song I would pick:

1 comment:

  1. Nice choice, JT. But I don't know, I kinda like Street's entrance music.
    I've never given much thought to my entrance music were I a closer. But I have thought about my walk-up music as a batter, the 5-10 second clip played as a hitter approaches the plate. Byrnsie's was great, the first seven seconds of this: http://bit.ly/wUTfA0. Dante Bichette's was horrible, the opening chorus of: http://bit.ly/xNluJQ. Mine would be 2:52-3:13 of this: http://bit.ly/A19RP5
    Nice work, JT!

    ReplyDelete