Monday, April 2, 2012

u mad 'baldo?

In my office, I have a few photos of myself with baseball players--Todd Helton, Matt Holiday, and Ubaldo Jimenez.  Each 8x10 is autographed by the Rockies-clad player appearing in the picture.  Today, after returning from court where I secured a guilty verdict on an elder abuse trial, I took the Ubaldo photo and set it face down on top of one of my bookshelves.  Why?  See for yourself:



MLB.com has a better angle of the pitch and a good summary of how the bad blood has developed.  Rockies manager Jim Tracy has called it the "most gutless act I have seen in 35 years of professional baseball," and has called for the pitcher's suspension.  Strangely, Ubaldo denies that the pitch was intentional, even though some of his other statements seem to contradict that.  Thankfully, Tulowitzki appears to be uninjured.

I have lost a lot of respect for Ubaldo.  I hope he gets suspended for five starts, and I'm wondering what to do with the photo that used to hang on my wall.

UPDATE: Ubaldo has been suspended for five games (one start) and fined an undisclosed amount.

3 comments:

  1. Kind of harsh punishment, isn't it? I'm referring to removing your 8x10 glossy rather than the suspension and fine. What ever happened to 3 strikes and then you're out?
    BTW, congrats on the conviction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know which is more painful, watching Tulo get drilled in the elbow, or listening to the ladies' conversation in the background of this video footage:
    "What happened?"
    "Are they fighting?"
    "What's going on?"
    "I don't know."
    "Did he get hit?"
    "I don't know. The batter acted like he did..."
    "OMG."

    Brutal.
    Nice post though JT.
    I say hold onto the picture, but stow it away in a box in your closet.
    Not sure what to do about your framed auto-no-hitter picture, Jefe. You may have to keep that one on the wall...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, it's still up. Can't take that away from him.

    ReplyDelete